Oct. 11, 2011
This evening I went back to my tiny home town of Bryson City, North Carolina to work on a photo story for my news reporting class.
As I thought about what I wanted to do my story on, I knew it had to be a story with purpose behind it in order to make the project fun and worthwhile. It was weird. Almost instantly a small boutique in Bryson came to mind.
Humanité. "Where fashion and purpose unite." This trendy boutique is full of unique and creative pieces chosen by owner Erin Walker-Smith. Besides being extremely fashionable and affordable, Erin donates 10 percent of all her profit to a local academic program, New Century Scholars and international non-profit organization, Heart for Africa, splitting the profits between the two five and five.
Erin loves fashion and opened Humanité as a way to give back. She was inspired after taking her own trip to Swaziland through Heart for Africa in 2009.
Heart for Africa is a Christian non-profit organization that works with churches and orphanages in Swaziland and Kenya providing care, education on basic skills, and love for all of the kiddos.
This is Erin--isn't she pretty! More pictures and info about the store to come!
Can't wait to see and find out more? Check out their Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Humanit%C3%A9/329758502231

No comments:
Post a Comment